The Hidden Cost of Communication Barriers
Posted by on May 11, 2020 7:43 am
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: How to Use This Blog
- Customize the beginning and end of the blog copy so it's tailored to you/your company.
- Right-click on the photo below, and "Save as image" to download the photo and use it in your blog on your website.
- Please include a link back to the original blog post on PGi's website: https://www.pgi.com/blog/2019/11/the-true-cost-of-inefficient-communication/
- After you've posted the blog on your website, promote it on social! You can find suggested social copy below.
Sometimes, the best effort to be more productive just winds up producing inefficient communication. We’re talking about excessive email back-and-forth, and having to jump between several communication tools rather than an all-encompassing solution.
Numerous studies have researched the mostly-preventable price tag of inefficient communication, including the business intelligence firm SIS International Research. Building on the key takeaways from that research, here’s a look at how poor use of communication tools is impacting your company.
Inefficient Communication Totals More Than $500k Annually
An in-depth study across eight industries in eight different countries, SIS found that the average small business employee wastes 17.5 hours per week due to communications barriers. That’s nearly 40% of the work week!
Respondents reported experiencing preventable communications barriers, including:
- Collaboration tool inefficiencies: Each person wasted an estimated 165 hours per year ($6,105) “attempting to address issues of inaccessibility, or other communication-tool based lack of full collaboration with colleagues.”
- Waiting for information: Each person wasted an estimated 175 hours per year ($6,475) “waiting for information from others that they have attempted to reach live multiple times using multiple methods.”
- Inefficient coordination: Each person wasted an estimated 185 hours per year ($6,845) “attempting to coordinate communications between team members.”
- If everyone uses the same tool, they are equipped to collaborate at the touch of a button no matter where they are.
- Information comes much more quickly when teams have a single, centralized source for their work.
- Inefficient meeting time coordination is eliminated when your communication platform automates meeting alerts and integrates with Outlook.
For a mid-sized business with about 100 employees, the estimated cost is $524,569 per year—and that’s assuming only 20% of their employees identify with these challenges! If half of your employees experience similar barriers, the impact could reach as high as a million dollars.
Good News: It Can Be Prevented
For most businesses, solutions can be easily implemented. Transitioning to unified communications as a service (UCaaS) for an all-in-one communications platform can dramatically reduce collaboration inefficiency.
Learn how GlobalMeet Collaboration [link to GlobalMeet page on your website] can help your company save thousands of hours in wasted communications time.
Social Media Post (for LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook)
You’ll be shocked to find out how much inefficient communication is costing your business! The good news is that there is an easy solution. [link to partner blog] #PGiPartners #GlobalMeet #LiveYourBestWorkLife